The Chicago Lions Rugby Club has launched a head coach search for its womxn’s 15s team, a Division I program that advanced to this season’s USA Club Rugby National Championship semifinals. The deadline for applications is July 1. See the following job description and application procedure for more information.
Reporting to the Executive Director, and ultimately the Chicago Lions Board, you will be responsible for coaching the team on and off the field to a standard of excellence that will compete at USA Rugby’s highest level & enhancing the reputation of the Team and the Midwest competition. You will lead the Team and assistant coaches to maximize their performance in all aspects of the game. In partnership with the Executive Director, the Head Coach will support the development and delivery of the High Performance environment with a multidisciplinary team that provides a best practice for Players to develop and reach their fullest potential.The Chicago Lions Women’s 15s Rugby Head Coach will also be responsible for coordinating with other Chicago Lions Rugby program leaders and will report to the Executive Director and CLCA board.
The Head Coach will receive monthly compensation in addition to a coaching kit allocation and coverage of all match travel expenses.
● Active USA Rugby Level 200 Coaching Certificate
● Three years collegiate or senior rugby coaching experience
● Demonstrated knowledge of high performance athlete development, planning, and performance technology
● Proven ability to lead and manage diverse teams and individuals
● Administrative skills including organizational and communication
● Establish and ensure an understanding of a team vision and team values, standards, and protocols that fit within the goals of the Team. Model the Chicago Lions team values, standards, and protocols at all times.
● Provide leadership of the Team and Team management through effective interpersonal communication and the ability to address difficult problems and decisions appropriately.
● Build and maintain strong working relationships with the Team and Team Management, both individually and as a group, using a range of communication styles tailored to the individual and the message.
● Demonstrate personal credibility, honesty, high integrity, and show an ability to handle pressure and stress appropriately.
● Assume the responsibility for player safety and injury management in conjunction with our athletic trainer partner, Athletico.
● Assume the responsibility and accountability for the performance and behavior of the Team on & off the field.
● Have an awareness of and comply with all relevant statutory, competition, organization, and cultural standards, policies, and regulations.
● Direct the Women’s 15s Rugby program and facilitate team-sponsored training events (Aug. – early Nov. & March – early June). The team shall be expected to train no less than twice per week (Tues & Thurs), weather permitting. Match schedules are typically on Saturdays. Travel is required for away matches.
● Lead the design and implementation of the team’s coaching plan and strategies.
● Develop and share training, season, and long term plans with assistant coaches.
● Coordinate the appointment of coaching staff (assistants) with the Executive Director. The Head Coach may
use volunteers from their own network or from the Lion’s network to fill personnel as necessary.
● Develop tactical game plans including training and match preview, review, and performance analysis.
● Oversee individual player skill development and clearly communicate expectations. Identify development opportunities for individual Lions players and offer individualized feedback for players to develop their rugby skills.
● Communicate with the Senior Operating Committee and/or Board of Directors to ensure coverage or requirement of additional assistance.
● Attend weekly coaching calls with other Lions coaches.
● Coordinate with the Lion’s S&C coach with programming and S&C standards.
● Finalize match rosters 48 hours before matches.
● Be a representative of Chicago Lions Rugby both on and off the pitch and avoid behavior that is detrimental to the organization and its reputation.
● Actively recruit and network with university and other organizations to identify and bring in additional assets to the Chicago Lions
● Create & work within allocated budgets. Any additional expenditure must be pre-approved by the Executive Director.
Email Jeff Simon (email@example.com) with the subject ‘Women’s 15s Coach Application’. Attached to your email, please include the following:
• A cover letter explaining your background and interest in the position
• Your rugby resume
• 2-3 rugby references from prior roles After reviewing the documents, Chicago Lions Rugby coaching selection committee and executive director may reach out to schedule an in-person or video interview. The deadline for application review is July 1st.
More About Chicago Lions Rugby
The Lions are one of the only rugby organizations in the USA to have a fully-integrated rugby program starting with Rookie Rugby (ages 4-10), Middle School, High School, and Senior Rugby for both Men (Division 1 and 2) and Women (Division 1). The Lions also field competitive sevens teams and run afterschool rugby programs in Chicago.
The Lions are a true community rugby organization, with a large and engaged alumni group, a full social calendar, and deep involvement in our community.
While there is a deep history for the Men’s 15s senior team, the Women’s 15s team started in 2018. From fielding 14 at their first Division 2 match to winning the Midwest Championship in the 2019-2020 and 2021-2022 seasons, the Women’s team is a dedicated group of players who strive for excellence.