Newberry College is an NCAA Division II institution and the women’s rugby program is a member of National Intercollegiate Rugby Association (NIRA). In December 2021, the institution hired Emily Roskopf as its first women’s rugby head coach, and she built the team from scratch. The South Carolina program joined NIRA in fall 2022 and played regional 7s.
The women’s rugby head coach position is now open. Below is an excerpt from the application, and interested parties should visit this link for more information:
Newberry College (NCAA D2), located in Newberry, S.C., is seeking applicants for the Women’s Head Rugby Coach position. The selected candidate will ensure the team operates and conducts themselves within the ideals, goals, rules, and regulations set forth by Newberry College, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and NIRA. The successful candidate will embrace and promote the missions of Newberry College. This position reports directly to the Director of Athletics. The successful candidate will provide: leadership, organization, supervision, instruction, and strategic planning for the Wolves women’s Rugby team.
1. Create an atmosphere that emphasizes the student-athlete experience.
2. Construct a plan to ensure academic success and personal development of student-athletes.
3. Meet recruiting and retention goals.
4. Ensure each student-athlete has a pathway toward graduation.
5. Identify, evaluate, and recruit academically prepared student-athletes in accordance with college policy, NIRA, and NCAA regulations.
6. Establish an effective communication plan with student-athletes.
7. Plan a competitive schedule.
8. Conduct practices in a safe environment.
9. Effectively manage the budget.
10. Fundraise for additional program needs.
11. Implement an effective community service plan.
12. Promote the women’s Rugby program in the community.
13. All other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Previous collegiate Rugby coaching experience is preferred. Upon employment, candidate must successfully complete NCAA certification exam.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Any offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by law or university policies. To apply for the position send resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references to Sean Johnson Director of Athletics at firstname.lastname@example.org.