When the Los Angeles Invitational 7s tournament was canceled alongside its World Rugby Sevens Series parent, many West Coast teams were left with a vacancy on their calendars. But the San Diego Mustangs got to work and are now providing a quality replacement that has drawn out-of-state teams to SoCal.
There are six teams in a U18 10s division, and three U15 sides playing 7s. The hosts are coached by Ken and Bella Devore, and their team will compete in the U18 bracket alongside the:
• Arizona Bobcats, whose players are coming right out of the Rugby Arizona 7s season (Scotsdale feature forthcoming);
• Fallbrook Warriors, which won the SCYR High School DI 7s Championship last Saturday (read more);
• Kahuku Raiders, who hosted the San Diego Mustangs last year during the Californians’ Hawaiian tour;
• Rhinos Rugby Academy, a National Development Program, which has a base in San Clemente; and
• South Bay Spartans, which feature many players from Carson High School, the current SCIRF champion.
The Arizona Bobcats, South Bay and the Rhinos will be fielding U15 squads. Additionally, the Bobcats will be playing Dave Cobb’s Thunder U15 team in Carlsbad Friday night.
Saturday’s games were originally supposed to take place at Pacific Highlands Ranch Community Park, but the event has now moved to Cathedral Catholic High School. Eagle Eye scout Benjamin Lebeaupin will be present, as will Nusi Tukuafu, who is based in Utah but rooted in Hawaii.
Rosters will be updated as they’re made available:
Coaches: Tim Pappas, Ted Brandt
Emma (AJ) Haughey
Itsarely Palma Castillo
SAN DIEGO MUSTANGS
vs Arizona Bobcats
SOUTH BAY SPARTANS